The Celebrate Ontario 2017 program is open and receiving applications through the Grants Ontario System.
What’s New for Celebrate Ontario 2017?
• Existing large events with cash operating expenses in excess of $1 million may apply for multi-year (two-year) funding (fiscal year 2017-18 and fiscal year 2018-19) under the Celebrate Ontario 2017 Multi-Year category. Only one application needs to be submitted for both years, but it must include details for the first year’s and second year’s enhancements, performance metrics, and financial activities.
• Applicants may include a request for marketing as an eligible expense for the Celebrate Ontario 2017 program. Applicants may apply for marketing costs associated with their enhancement project (if the enhancement project lends itself to marketing), the event itself, or both. The marketing request must remain consistent with the organization’s overall marketing plan.
• Celebrate Ontario 2017 program funding support for eligible marketing expenses cannot exceed 15 per cent of the total Celebrate Ontario 2017 eligible program funding request.
• Marketing funding will only be provided for marketing initiatives targeting tourists staying overnight who are in-province (Ontario overnight audiences at least 100 kilometres from the event), or out-of-province overnight audiences beyond Ontario (e.g., other parts of Canada, the United States, international).
• Applicants are invited to consider Canada’s 150th in their planning. For events occurring between April 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017, organizers might consider an enhancement activity that celebrates or commemorates Canada’s 150th ─ the anniversary of Canada’s Constitution Act, 1867, which established the Confederation of Canada.
• Applicants are asked to identify the target sector of their event, if applicable. New this year is the opportunity to identify rural or northern events, given their significance to local economies.
The Celebrate Ontario 2017 program comprises three categories:
• Celebrate Ontario 2017 and Celebrate Ontario 2017 Multi-Year provide project-based programming and marketing funding to new or existing Ontario events to enhance programs, activities and services and support innovations that will lead to long-term improvements, sustainability and the attraction of additional tourists. Existing large events with cash capital operating expenses in excess of $1 million can apply for multi-year (two-year) funding for fiscal year 2017-18 and fiscal year 2018-19. Applicants must demonstrate how their event will:
o increase attendance and geographic reach.
o increase tourist visitation and expenditures.
o improve quality and sustainability.
o strengthen Ontario's tourism brand image throughout Canadian and international markets.
o facilitate overnight stays by visitors to a community through the development and marketing of overnight packages (e.g., theatre/hotel/restaurant discounts) and incentives.
o attract in-province overnight and out-of-province visitation in Ontario.
• Celebrate Ontario Blockbuster consists of two streams. The Event Bid stream and the Event Hosting stream support bidding costs and hosting costs, respectively, for major one-time events or events that do not recur annually in Ontario, but travel nationally or internationally to host destinations. Blockbuster events must be of a size and scope sufficient to draw tourists to Ontario’s communities, attract significant media exposure, and profile Ontario’s destinations nationally and globally. Blockbuster events must have a cash operating budget in excess of $1 million.
Frequently Asked Questions
Review the frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the Celebrate Ontario program.
View the 2016-17 Celebrate Ontario event listings.