Sport events are important occasions to celebrate athletic performance and build community spirit. Ontario has proven it is an attractive venue for hosting high-profile national and international sporting events, helping to create a culture that values sport and contributes to athlete development. Hosting international and national amateur sport events offers Ontario and its communities the opportunity to welcome visitors, showcase the province and its communities to a national and international audience and support the province’s sport, recreation and physical activity culture.
Hosting sport events also increases tourism, creates jobs, enhances public infrastructure and increases economic development. Supporting sport events will ensure Ontario remains an attractive destination for sport hosting, builds on the legacy of the Pan and Parapan American Games and provides opportunities for local communities to build their capacity to host future events.
The Sport Hosting Program will provide project-based funding to help applicants deliver international and national amateur sport events in Ontario.
The objectives of the Sport Hosting Program are the following:
- Create a culture of sport that engages all Ontarians
- Create legacies that support sport in Ontario at the provincial, regional and local level.
- Foster a culture of sport and physical activity in communities by creating role models and enhancing community spirit and involvement in sport.
- Increase opportunities for Ontario athletes to compete and participate in events in Ontario.
- Seek new avenues to further build and develop the sport capacity of the province by providing additional ways to develop and train coaches, officials and volunteers.
- Provide economic benefits through increased levels of tourism and expenditures, as well as improved public infrastructure.
- Support local capacity building and increase affordable opportunities for Ontario athletes to compete at home to earn future national team opportunities